Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Reflection on Prezi


            My next reflection is on Prezi, “a cloud-based presentation software that opens up a new world between whiteboards and slides…with a zoomable canvas” (Prezi.com). Prezi meets the principle of equitable use with it being a presentation-software that can be used in a variety of settings and for different users, including teachers, businesses, students, conferences, education, design, portfolios, etc. Prezi also meets the principle of being flexible in use. It provides a variety of templates so the user has the option to use a design that is appealing and fits his or hers theme the best. It also provides options like changing font color, font size, and indentations. I think Prezi only partly meets the principle for simple and intuitive use, because of my personal experience with the creation of my first Prezi. At first, I found Prezi to be very difficult and hard to use. With everything being new to me, I found it difficult to get the Prezi started and it took a very long time to complete. The tools didn’t seem to be labeled as clearly as I was used to with the more common Microsoft PowerPoint; however, I will say that Prezi got much easier to use with the more practice I gained with it and I now feel it is much easier to create a Prezi. This is why I say Prezi only meets this principle partly. Looking at Prezi now and being more knowledgeable about the tools, I see how Prezi is a program that is made to be consistent and simple. Prezi also has a setting to let other people work on the same presentation as you, which can be extremely helpful with school projects or any means that requires collaboration with others. I also think Prezi only partly meets the perceptible information principle, due to the reasons I just mentioned. I feel with the more experience I have gained with the use of Prezi, the more I am able to appreciate the program’s design and have realized that the elements are easy to use and differentiate. Prezi does meet the principle of tolerance for error since it has an “undo” and “redo” tool and also has an easy tool to save the presentation, providing a fail-safe feature. I think the Prezi only partly meets the low physical effort principle due to the fact that I feel it is hard for someone who is new to create a Prezi. It is needed to watch some of the useful “how-to” videos that the program provides. Though, like other methods of technology, Prezi creates an easy online way to create a presentation without the need of any physical matter. For example, people used to have to make presentations with poster boards, props, handouts, etc. Prezi is an all-online program and is easier to use to collaborate with others and save (since it can just be saved on the computer). I do not feel like this program meets the final principle of size and space for approach and use since it is also computer-based and does not need physical accommodations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment